Building a transparent freelance marketplace.

A new interface for providing resume writers the critical information they need to take on new clients.

UX Research, UI Design, Front-End Development (React, Sass)

 
 
New Offer@2x.png
 
 

 

Problem: Fear of the Unknown

 

Talent Inc. relies on its network of resume writers to accept job “offers” at regular intervals. In its previous state, these offers contained very little information about the client outside of an overly simplistic industry categorization. Writers were hesitant to accept jobs that could be undesirable, creating a logjam of orders that required costly manual intervention.

 
 

Old job offer with little relevant client information.

 
 

Digging into Data

 

When eyeing time to assignment and cycle time as our KPIs, it becomes clear that certain industry categories take up to twice as long as others to move through the fulfillment process. Any client who self-identifies as “Other” (due to aforementioned overly simplistic options) will likely wait days longer to get assigned a writer, and data shows strong ties between cycle time and refund requests.

 
 

Lifting the Curtain

 

Without the ability to address the UX of the client questionnaire and improve industry categorization, how can we help writers understand:

 
 
  1. Am I comfortable with this subject matter?
  2. Does this order fit into my schedule?
  3. Do I want to fulfill each of the items in the order?
 
 

My counterpart and I set up interviews with groups of some of our most productive writers to talk about their process and what they need to know to write a killer resume.

 
hierarchy-exercise.jpg
IMG_5434.JPG
 

One thing became super clear—the job target is the resume. Instead of hinging a client’s fulfillment experience on a simple industry category, we needed to be more transparent. The old offer showed little in the way of relevant information, and writers felt like they were taking a gamble by accepting an order.

 
 

Design Iterations

 

One of our requirements was that the new offer must fit in the same digital space as the old, without any new changes in functionality. Thus, the general offer dimensions would remain relatively the same. With this in mind, I got to work on wireframing ideas.

 

Early offer wireframes.

 

The client’s resume should be prominent, along with their stated job targets. We got rid of the 5 minute countdown clock and corporate “As a reminder, you are set up to accept X orders per week” language, which felt overly stringent and condescending, focusing instead on using available space to highlight information that is most relevant to our writers. Additionally, data showed that most writers made a decision on an offer within 27 seconds, which meant the clock was just causing unnecessary pressure.

After rounds of iteration, we landed on a final design. This redesigned offer provides a much more clear picture of the client’s history and job goals by showcasing their resume and highlighting their intended job targets.

 
 

Before

 
 

After

 

Results

 

The new offer was rolled out to test groups of writers and met with an overwhelmingly positive response:

Really like it!  Much more informative, and much more visually pleasing! - Megan R.

This will be so helpful!  - Karen H.

This is amazing!  - Treshia C.

 
 

Better yet, writers who were seeing the new offer started snapping up “Other” orders, leading to a sharp decrease in time-to-assignment. This test group also took 17.5% more orders during the first week of testing as compared to the week prior. After full network-wide adoption, “Other” orders are smoothly moving through the system, order cycle time has improved, and reassignment requests are down. A win for our writers, for their clients, and for the overall health of the business.